Following the most Government announcement and instructions, we can confirm that:
- Bath Academy remains ‘open’ with staff continuing to operate remotely with a view to ensuring continuity of education, to answer any queries, and we continue to accept applications for both Academic and English courses.
- The summer term continues online from June 1st, finishing on the 28th of June.
- SCHOOL RE-OPENING: After the Prime Minister’s announcement regarding the possibility of some school openings from June, we have decided against re-opening in June for the following reasons:
- The majority of students are in Year 11 and 13, so will be completing their studies in the first week of June;
- Of those students completing Year 12, some are boarders who live far from Bath, and those who are more local need to undertake journeys on public transport;
- The buildings are small and it would be difficult to ensure safe levels of social distancing immediately;
- The students’ online courses are very popular and attendance and motivation is high.
- For the full statement from our Principal regarding this, please click the document icon on the right or bottom of the page.
Continuity of Education:
- For the upcoming summer term, Bath Academy students will continue learning on our online platforms until the restriction is lifted;
- Teaching will continue via ‘Showbie’, our paperless classroom, Zoom, and Socrative, until further notice. These programmes of learning involve both continued instruction as well as continuing opportunities for assessment. All students, teachers, and staff have used and become accustomed to these platforms, and they have been met with high cooperation and attendance, making our initial transition to online learning very successful. For more information regarding these learning platforms, our safeguarding policy regarding online learning, and our summer term ahead calendar, click here.
- The academic curriculum that will be carried out between April 14 and the end of the summer term will be used as information and evidence to enable the exam boards to award students’ final grades upon completion of their courses.
EXAMS & GRADES:
Please see the latest update (March 20/20) from the Department of Education below:
Key points from this announcement:
- The aim is to ensure ‘GCSE, A and AS level students are awarded a grade which fairly reflects the work that they have put in’;
- There will also be an option to sit an exam early in the next academic year for students who wish to;
- Ofqual will develop and set out a process that will provide a calculated grade to each student which reflects their performance as fairly as possible;
- The exam boards will be asking teachers, who know their students well, to submit, at the end of their course, a judgement about the grade that they believe the student would have received if exams had gone ahead;
- Teachers will take into account a range of evidence and data including performance on mock exams and non-exam assessment;
- The aim is to provide these calculated grades to students before the end of July;
- In terms of a permanent record, the grades will be indistinguishable from those provided in other years;
- If they do not feel their calculated grade reflects their performance, they will have the opportunity to sit an exam at the earliest reasonable opportunity, once schools are open again. Students will also have the option to sit their exams in summer 2021.
Please note that students at Bath Academy are well-placed in this situation due to their weekly formative assessments, mock exam results, and further assessments that will take place during the summer term. Teaching staff will be providing their normal support for students’ achievements and progression throughout the summer term.
More information will be provided as soon as possible, but in the meantime if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at the college on 01225 334 577 or by email email@example.com.
Public health information about the virus is updated daily here, but if you have any questions directly concerning any Bath Academy students, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01225 334 577 or firstname.lastname@example.org.