How ready are you for study in the UK?
Studying in the UK as an international student can be a life-changing experience, both exciting and daunting. The more prepared you are for this, the better.
We aim to guide you in what to expect from academic study in UK Higher Education, and to help you get the very best out of your time as a student here. To do this, we will:
- highlight aspects of UK Higher Education which might be new or different for you
- help you to prepare for the transition to Bath Academy and its methods of teaching and learning
- introduce you to cultural aspects of life and study in the UK
- encourage you to start using and practising your English language skills
Bath Academy provides many sources of guidance and support for students whose first language is not English to ensure that they can achieve their academic potential. However, in preparation it is helpful if you recognise the possible challenges of studying in English. More than just being proficient in the language, it is important to be aware of the approach and conventions of academic English, which may vary quite considerably from those of your first language. We are here to help you with this transition.
Lack of awareness of the expectations and conventions of studying in English is often where students whose first language is not English find difficulties and far less to do with their competency in the language.
Benefits of Studying in the UK
It’s a great place to live and study
The United Kingdom (UK) is made up of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales. Each country has distinct regions, each offering large cosmopolitan cities, towns, and countryside villages.
- The UK has a multicultural society, with a rich diversity of cultures, languages, and faiths.
- You’ll find widely varied cuisine, strong transport links, famous music festivals, and international sporting championships.
Why choose higher education in the UK?
Going to university in the UK is a great way to expand your knowledge, meet new people, experience a new culture, and enjoy new experiences. You’ll get plenty of support at university, and a chance to experience a great student lifestyle. Whatever your interests, there’s a huge range of clubs and societies, as well as a diverse social life on offer.
- Choose from over 50,000 courses, in more than 25 subject areas.
- UK courses are generally shorter than other countries, helping to reduce overall tuition fees and accommodation costs.
- It can be possible to work while you study too – find out more from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)and the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).
High quality education
The UK is one of the world’s most popular destinations to study higher education, with more than 500,000 international students enrolling each year.
- One of the world’s leading destinations for international students, second only to the USA. UK universities are among the best in the world, and consistently perform well in world rankings. They also have a reputation for world-class research.
- UK higher education degrees and qualifications are recognised by employers and academics worldwide.
- Students get the opportunity to develop the skills, knowledge, critical thinking, and connections to drive forward their careers.
- High quality postgraduate study opportunities are also available at the majority of UK universities, with some universities offering sponsorship to extend Student visas.
*Above information from UCAS https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/international-and-eu-students/benefits-studying-uk