The Pre-A Level Course at Bath Academy prepares international students for the demands of A Level (Advanced Level) study. Students develop their English language, mathematical and academic skills needed to be successful in their A Level studies and future academic careers.
We find that students who take this course reach a far higher standard than those of the same starting level that apply directly for A Levels. Universities pay close attention to students’ scores throughout their A-level study, so it is essential to make a good start to the full A Level course.
The course is separated into two levels, each lasting one year.
- For 14/15 year-olds to fully prepare them for studying the GCSE programme the following year
- Intensive focus on the English language requirements and development of Mathematics, Science and IT/Business studies for students aiming to study GCSEs and later, A levels
- (If a student shows excellent progress, they may have the option to take a GCSE in the summer term as well as the IELTS exam.)
- For 15/16 year-olds to fully prepare them for studying the 2-year A level programme the following year
- Students will prepare for sitting 5 GCSEs
- Intensive focus on gaining a high band score in the IELTS examination (6.5 +) and following 5 GCSE subjects, IELTS Preparation
Subjects include: English, Mathematics, physics/Chemistry/Biology (combined into two GCSEs) and Business Studies.
Both courses offer students a comprehensive education which includes other social, cultural and physical activities to broaden their learning, including:
- Cultural Programme – a cultural programme is designed to enrich the understanding of the English language and British culture
- Personal, Social, Health and Economic education
- Physical Education – a weekly programme of extra-curricular sports activities
- Timed Assessment – supervised Timed Assessments based on examination questions to help develop skills
- Personalised Support – A personal tutor and programme of tutorial sessions support students as they adapt to the educational and cultural differences of the UK system
International students should have an IELTS score of at least:
- Level 1 – A2+ (CEFR) Cambridge PET (45-59); KET (Pass)
- Level 2 – IELTS 5.0 (with no less than 4.5 in any skill)
To enter the Pre-A level programme, candidates will need to have an adequate level of English which will be assessed on application, normally done through a Skype interview with the Director of Studies.