We know that finding somewhere you can call home is important, and the Bath Academy Team is happy to provide advice and guidance on the options available to our students. There is a range of residences available in Bath to suit individual preferences and budgets.
We believe that a comfortable, clean and safe place to stay whilst students study is extremely important, therefore we aim to provide comfortable and secure accommodation for students to make the most of their time with us.
Our accommodation options are listed below:
Student Residential House (ages 14-18)
Our accommodation for long-term students consists of a charming, Georgian residential house set in the heart of the city. At Oxford house we offer full board accommodation for students who are 14+ years of age. Resident members of staff are always present to ensure students’ safety, happiness and progress.
Oxford House has both single and shared rooms which are allocated on a strictly ‘first come, first served’ basis. The bedrooms are well furnished, centrally heated and are cleaned each week, including new bed linen. All houses are non-smoking.
Located within 10 minutes’ walk from the school and city centre, Bath Academy’s Student Residence offers classic accommodation in beautiful Grade 1 Listed Georgian buildings. Ideally positioned, students have the benefit of living in a historical house with modern amenities close to the city’s central hub.
Our Student Residence has an experienced chef who serves home-cooked meals for every dietary and cultural requirement. Students are served three meals a day with a cooked breakfast on the weekends.
Our chefs do their best to cater to special requirements with proper notice given, and we expect students to be flexible with their meal expectations. Trying new food and eating hot meals together in the evenings is an important aspect of student life, and provides a ‘family’ environment for those far away from home.
Our student residences are equipped with alarms and cameras on all entry and exit points to ensure our students’ safety at all times.
Student Residential Accommodation Details:
- Full-board accommodation with resident members of staff and experienced, in-house chef
- 10-minute walk to the college
- Room cleaned once a week
- Bed linen and towel change once a week
- Laundry arrangement once a week
- Wi-Fi connection provided
- Social activities at the weekends
College Residence is subject to availability. All prices can be found on our fees page.
Homestay Accommodation (ages 16+)
Bath Academy arranges accommodation in Bath with caring and responsible homestay providers. Living in homestay accommodation, students are able to learn more about British customs and traditions and gain additional conversational practice. All homestays are visited personally and interviewed in order to ensure they satisfy our criteria:
- Single room or shared rooms with an adequately sized bed (bunk beds may be used by students under 16 years old)
- Not more than three students in one homestay at a time
- Full board (breakfast, packed lunch & dinner with lunches provided by Bath Academy)
- Located within the city of Bath (can be reached by walking or 30 minutes by public transport*)
- Adequate hanging and drawer space and storage for clothes
- A table or desk and chair for studying (either in the bedroom or in the main part of the house)
- Daily access to a bathroom with a bath or shower
- Room cleaned once a week
- Bed linen and towel changed once a week
- Laundry access once a week
- Wi-Fi connection provided
- English is spoken as the main language in the family home
*Bus passes currently cost around £20 per week for adults and £12.80 for young people under 21. More information can be found here.
Homestay accommodation is subject to availability. All prices can be found on our fees page.
Interested in becoming a homestay host? Click here for more details.
Privately Arranged Accommodation
For students aged 18+ there are private student halls of residence in Bath. These are a popular option because of the student community atmosphere, bills are usually included in the rent, and they provide independence in a safe, secure environment.
The closest hall of residence to Bath Academy is Avon Studios.
They offer spacious and modern accommodation in studio apartments and are a great choice for those who want their own space with access to a social space and options to participate in weekly social activities.
AVON STUDIOS: (for photos or a virtual tour click here).
- Only a 10-minute walk from the college
- Each studio comes with a double bed, a mini-kitchen, storage space, great study area, and en-suite bathroom
- Features vary between accommodation options; city views and balcony access
- Reasonably priced
- TV lounge, pool table and outdoor social space
HOW IT WORKS:
- If you choose this option, Bath Academy students receive 3.5% discount off the first instalment of rent.
- Your tenancy contract is with Fresh Student Living, not Bath Academy, and any tenancy issues will be dealt with directly with them.
- Bath Academy cannot be your Guarantor.
- Find their detailed booking requirements here.
*They currently offer flexible tenancy policies for 2020-21 due to the uncertainty around the Coronavirus, so you can book with confidence (click here for more details).
We recommend that students stay in accommodation provided by Bath Academy to gain the most from their experience in Bath. However, we understand that some students may prefer to arrange their own accommodation.
Bath is a popular holiday destination there is a range of hotels and guest houses both in and near the town. You can click on the link for a list of hotels and guest houses on the official local tourism website: Visit Bath https://visitbath.co.uk/.
The College does not monitor accommodation arranged privately and is unable to make recommendations.
If you prefer to arrange your own accommodation then please consider the following points
- Can I afford the accommodation?
- What is included in the price – meals, gas and electricity bills, water rates – and if I am paying my own utility costs, how much should I budget for?
- Does the price include possessions insurance?
- Is there internet connectivity in the accommodation and if so is there an extra cost?
- Are bed linen, towels and kitchen utensils provided and if not, does the institution offer packs I can buy?
- What is Council Tax and do I have to pay it?
- If I have a car, are there parking facilities and if so, is an extra cost attached?
- Am I required to pay a deposit? If so, how much is it and what is it for?
- What are the payment terms?
- What is a guarantor, and will I need one?
- Is there any communal living space and if so, is it adequate?
- Do I want or really need en suite provision and can I afford it?
- What is the mix of students in the accommodation likely to be?
- Can I practice and improve my English?
- If I sign a joint contract, will my liability be different?
- Does the accommodation offer good social opportunities?
- What are the management and security arrangements for the accommodation?
- What are the arrangements for the provision of food?
- Am I prepared to clean my accommodation and take the rubbish out?
- What are the accommodation arrangements for vacation periods?
- Does the length of the contract fit my period of study?
- Where is the accommodation located?
- What are the transport links and what are the costs?
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers students ask us about accommodation. If you don’t see your question here, please contact us directly and we’ll do our best to answer it.
1. When should I start looking for somewhere to live?
Once you receive your offer letter from Bath Academy, we can help you start to make arrangements for accommodation. If you are arranging private accommodation yourself, we recommend you still wait until your offer letter is received, and your arrival date to the UK is confirmed.
2. How much does private rental usually cost?
The cost differs greatly depending on different aspects of the property. Be sure to check whether things like bills and internet are included with your monthly rent or not. Some places offer catered and non-catered options. Monthly rents can be anywhere between £500 – £1500 in Bath.
3. Will I have to provide guarantor details?
Students who accept an offer of accommodation for a room with Avon Studios will need to provide a guarantor reference.
A guarantor should be a responsible person who will be accountable for paying your rent and any damages should you be unable to make the payments. By signing the tenancy your guarantor will accept joint responsibility for the financial aspects of the tenancy agreement.
Your guarantor must live and work in the UK on a permanent basis. If you cannot provide a guarantor you can choose to pay the full rental fee up front at the start of the contract
4. Can anyone at Bath Academy be my Guarantor?
None of the members of Bath Academy could be your Guarantor.