Pre-Arrival Information & Visas

Studying in a different country can be very difficult when you’re faced with many new and unfamiliar challenges. We have helped many international students adjust to life in the UK, for both short and long periods of time, and have expert knowledge and guidance for our students visiting or living in the beautiful city of Bath.

Please find below all the information you need before arriving in the UK. You will also be sent this before you travel to start your course at Bath Academy.

We’ve included two very helpful documents from the British Council – Creating Confidence & Safety First – designed to help international students prepare for their stay in the UK. Please take time to read these as they include useful helplines and websites for information and advice.


When children and teenagers come to study in the UK, there are special laws and rules to keep them safe. ​As we are accredited by the British Council, Independent Schools Association and Boarding Schools’ Association, we follow additional guidance to ensure younger students under the age of 18 stay safe and happy during their course in the UK.

  • All students under the age of 18 are children under UK law. ​The rules are the same for all nationalities, even if a student is considered an adult in their home country.
  • Students under the age of 18 staying in the UK for more than 28 days, must have a parent or Guardian who is a British Resident.
  • A Guardian can be a close relative: mother, father, aunt, uncle, grandparent, brother or sister
  • If you don’t have family or close friends in the UK, your child will need a guardian. It is the role of a guardianship organisation to help you find the right person to support you and look after your child.
  • You can find a list of Guardianship services on the AEGIS Website:

Please also see our International Student Support page for more useful information about studying in the UK before your arrival.


If you are not a resident in the UK, you will require a visa to study at Bath Academy. All non-British nationals must obtain a visa before travelling to the UK unless they are transferring from another institution.

Bath Academy is a Student Sponsor and will therefore be able to sponsor your Student or Child Student visa. The Student route is part of the UK’s points-based system for immigration. It is for migrants who want to study in the UK.

Students studying English Language Courses do not need a Student Visa, but may need another type of Visa before travelling to the UK. You can check if you need a visa you can use the GOV UK website. Bath Academy Staff are also able to answer any questions you may have and you can email:

For all information on Visa requirements, please click on the document below:

molecule toys

Contact Us

Need to know more?
Get in touch