The Medical and Dental professions are among the most difficult disciplines to gain entry to, and it is imperative to have a comprehensive grounding in the relevant knowledge before progressing to further stages of education.
Our International Medical Foundation Programme is a 1-year programme specifically designed to provide students with the best possible grounding for application to Medical and Dental schools.
Completion of the Medical Foundation Programme provides students with several pathways to Medical or Dental schools. Students can follow more than one of these routes to maximise their individual chances of successful progression:
- First route – direct application to medical programmes at;
- the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Internationally recognized medical qualification – MB, BCh, BAO (Hons) – (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Bachelor of Obstetrics).
- No additional entrance exam (UCAT/BMAT).
- Direct application (not through UCAS).
- Each year RCSI have 220 non-EU places available.
- World renowned, ranked among the top 2% of universities worldwide.
- Has Europe’s largest, cutting edge, clinical simulation facilities.
- Located in the heart of Dublin – the vibrant and friendly capital of Ireland.
- the University of Central Lancashire.
- UCLan’s Medicine (MBBS) programme offers an innovative approach to medical education.
- Taught in state-of the-art facilities.
- Clinical placements in UK NHS hospitals and clinics start in Year 1 and feature strongly throughout the programme.
- You will be taught in small, diverse groups by expert, experienced staff. A high staff to student ratio means you’re fully supported during studies.
- Second route: direct entry onto the fast track 2-year BSc (Hons) in Biomedical Sciences.(Buckingham University);
- this BSc is designed with medical or dental school entry in mind.
- Students who are predicted, or achieve, a 2.1 will be guaranteed an invitation to the second phase of the University of Buckingham MBChB Selection Process.
- Third route: application EU Medical and Dental schools teaching in English language.
Why study the Medical Foundation Programme?
- The course provides students with an alternative to A Levels as a route to medical and dental school.
- Students will study Biology, Chemistry, Further Mathematics, Physics or Psychology, as well as having introductory sessions in topics such as: Pathology, Physiology, Genetics and Pharmacology.
- The course is taught by highly skilled and experienced teachers in a specialised medical and dental school stream.
- Specialist staff provide support with UCAS applications, personal statements, university entry research, UCAT* / BMAT preparation and interview preparation.
*The UCAT stands for University Clinical Aptitude Test, (previously named UKCAT, UK Clinical Aptitude Test), and is required for entry to a medical/dentistry degree at many UK universities. As of 2019, the UCAT replaces UKCAT.
Who is it for?
- International students who currently hold high school diplomas or A-levels, but would like to strengthen their application for medical school.
- International students who do not currently meet the academic requirement to apply to medical school through UCAS.
- International students who did not pass the UKCAT/BMAT examinations and would like to build on their existing knowledge before re-applying for medical school.
|Term 1||Minor Modules||
|Terms 2 and 3||Major Modules||
and one elective module in either Psychology or Quantitative Methods
In order to be considered for our Medicine pathway, students need to have graduated from High School. Check the Table 1 below for the grade/score requirements for your qualification type. In addition, students will need to have an overall IELTS score of 6.5, with a minimum of 6 in reading/writing (Table 2).
|Qualification Type||Grade/Score Requirement|
|GCSE/High School Equivalent||
5 A – B with the following:
Chemistry A; Biology B; Maths B
|Baccalaureate/High School Diploma||
Overall 16* with at least the following:
Chemistry 16*; Biology 16*; Maths 16*; (*score of 17 for Iranian students)
|IB – Must be at least 1st year of diploma||Chemistry 6; Biology 5; Maths 5|
|Qualifications graded out of 100||
Overall 85% with at least the following:
Chemistry 85%; Biology 80%; Maths 80%
|IELTS||Overall 6.5 with a minimum of 6 in reading/writing|